What’s marketing and media literacy? We have a lot of unlearning to do!
The lessons included in Media Savvy Girls ‘curriculum are meant to dispel many myths surrounding the messages we get from marketing and the media.
Since the day we are born, these messages (from our family, our community, our school, the media we watched and interact with) give us suggestions about our place in the world, how we should behave, how we should look like, what we should be aiming for and what are the values we should base our life and happiness on. These messages become the fabric of our mind and direct our emotions, desires, dreams and fears.
Yet, there is really not an advanced level of teaching in schools or elsewhere regarding how these messages are constructed; nobody teaches us whether we should believe them, put our trust in them. Nobody tell us how we should analyse them and break them down to fully comprehend their origin and meaning.
Media Savvy Girls’ curriculum includes 6 essential lessons imparted through 12 video lessons (6 “theory” videos where concepts are explained through animation and 6 “practice” videos where the concepts previously explained in the theory will be applied to media programs, adverts and girls’ everyday life).
The plan is to make our curriculum available for purchase by parents, educators and organisations, while we also plan to deliver engaging and co-creative workshops in schools and organisations, starting locally to then expanding operations across UK. Every workshop will provide learning through our 3-pillars method:
1) AWARENESS 2) PARTICIPATION & 3) ACTION!
AWARENESS = a presentation of the topic
PARTICIPATION = Q&A, discussing and share personal experiences regarding the topic presented
ACTION = discussing positive and practical things that we (girls) can do to counteract the pressure from media and marketing regarding the topic discussed; co-creating artwork and resources.
LIST OF THE 6 LESSONS IN OUR CURRICULUM:
- INTRO SESSION – Media culture, consumerism, the digital revolution, social media and neuro-psychology: why is so important to learn essential critical skills to live in a media-saturated world.
- BEHIND ANY MEDIA MESSAGE THERE IS A PRODUCER: how marketing & advertising messages are constructed. Understanding the financial interests behind adverts & media
- UNDERSTANDING GENDER: femininity & masculinity. Gender stereotyping: what it is, how to detect it and how to bypass it
- HOW MEDIA AFFECT THE WAY WE SEE OURSELVES: body image, beauty standards, Photoshop/airbrushing, self-objectification
- GENDER EQUALITY: historical overview, cultural differences, sexism and feminism
- ROLE MODELS AND CELEBRITY CULTURE: how media promote certain life-styles and values.